Once a year, we hold a 12-week long UX intensive bootcamp for our community to experience a robust, educational curriculum to break into or elevate one’s career in the UX industry.
A 12-week long intensive UX bootcamp program to educate about the basics of UX, design and research methodology, finding jobs, and interviewing.
- Week 1: Course Introduction
- Week 2: UX Fundamentals
- Week 3: History of UX
- Week 4: Design Software & Tools
- Week 5: Planning & Research
- Week 6: Design & UI Fundamentals
- Week 7: Iteration and Workflows
- Week 8: Designing with Equity
- Week 9: Careers in UX: Interview & Job Applications
- Week 10: Portfolio & Presentations
- Week 11: Mock Interview & Presentations
- Week 12: Graduation 🎉
- Program Duration: 12 weeks
- 2022 Dates: Begins week of September 6, 2022 (after labor day) and ends week of November 21, 2022 (right before Thanksgiving)
- Weekly Time Commitment: 2-3 hours of lecture & 15-20 hours of homework/self-study
- Cost: Free for our QTBIPOC community
- Pre-requisite: No UX experience is necessary
2022 Cohort begins September 6, 2022
Applications open: July 5, 2022 (Applications are now open)
Applications close: July 31, 2022
Interviews begin: August 1, 2022
Approvals are sent out on a rolling basis until seats are filled
Class begins: September 6, 2022
Meet Your Teachers
”Steven Wakabayashi (he/him) is a creative director, changemaker, and founder of mission-driven organizations empowering historically marginalized communities within design, tech, and mindfulness industries. After leading creative teams at many notable brands and agencies including Apple, Google, Walmart, Huge, and Razorfish, he is now creating pathways for queer BIPOC creatives into the design industry through QTBIPOC Design.Steven Wakabayashihe/him
Everybody deserves accessible, quality education
Especially for our queer and BIPOC communities, breaking into or excelling in the creative industry shouldn’t be gated by expensive bootcamp courses or inaccessible professional organizations. The passion to create and conviction to thrive should be the only requirement to finding success in the UX industry.
We created this organization as our form of joy and celebration of our community.
Who is this program for?
- This program is reserved for those who identify as both BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and/or person of color) and LGBTQ+. To honor this space, please do not join if you are an ally. If you are interested in supporting the community, we provide space for allies who want to help us set up events and programming for our organization! If you are an ally please email us separately at email@example.com.
- All attendees are asked to please read and abide by the QTBIPOC Design Code of Conduct.
”“I really dug the openness and intimate nature of the classes. I can't believe this actually happened in a remote format. I think this a testament to the mentors in the ux bootcamp. A lot of the mystery of what it's like to work in UX or what the work entails was broken down for us.”Felix (he/him)UX Bootcamp Graduate
”“This is the best bootcamp I’ve taken! The small class sizes mean more access to getting your questions and concerns addressed—so it is quite a tight knit group that is formed each cohort. It is such an honor to be learning from and working with others in the community. It’s a rare opportunity for me that I haven’t had to chance to experience before. I greatly appreciate the knowledge, empowerment and network QTBIPOC design has given me!”Willy (They/their)UX Bootcamp Graduate
”“The QTBIPOC Design UX Bootcamp was an immersive experience into the world of UX design. I was able to get hands-on practice to really learn Figma, and work on a case study for my portfolio. I feel a lot more confident as a UX designer, and I am excited to put my new knowledge and skills into practice with future opportunities.”Malaya (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate
”“While I had taken a course before in UX, I didn't feel like I reached my potential in my previous courses. Qtbipoc design's bootcamp offered me a safe, supportive environment paired with a great, updated curriculum to learn from. I gained confidence and went from feeling unsure and lost to feeling much more ready to apply to jobs in the field.”Belle (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate
How do I get involved?
We love our volunteers & supporters.
- Please consider donating to our organization. Each dollar goes towards helping put on programs such as our UX Bootcamp course & supplies for our community.
We are currently looking for these roles:
For 2022, our applications open July 1, 2022 and close July 31, 2022. If you’d like to receive updates to our UX Bootcamp course, sign up for our interest form and we’ll email you when applications open up!
Your generous donations help to keep our program running! Donate through our online donation page.
Our UX Bootcamp is provided free for our members through generous donations from our community.