We hold a 12-week long UX intensive bootcamp each year for our community to experience a robust, educational curriculum to break into or elevate one’s career in the UX industry.
A 12-week long intensive UX bootcamp program to educate about the basics of UX, design and research methodology, finding jobs, and interviewing.
- Week 1: Course Introduction
- Week 2: UX Fundamentals
- Week 3: History of UX
- Week 4: Design Software & Tools
- Week 5: Planning & Research
- Week 6: Design & UI Fundamentals
- Week 7: Iteration and Workflows
- Week 8: Designing with Equity
- Week 9: Careers in UX: Interview & Job Applications
- Week 10: Portfolio & Presentations
- Week 11: Mock Interview & Presentations
- Week 12: Graduation 🎉
Dates for 2023 Cohort
- September 6 – November 29, 2023
- Weekly Wednesday class from 3:00 – 6:00p PT / 6:00 – 9:00p ET
- Weekly Partner Sync (flexible times)
- No class during the week of November 20 for holiday
- Program duration: 12 weeks
- Class format: Online class meeting every week, with weekly assignments to be completed with a partner in the program
- Level: This is a beginner-level UX bootcamp. Students with little to no experience or looking to solidify ad hoc learnings will benefit the most. However, we also welcome junior and entry-level UX designers looking to improve their skills
- Weekly time commitment: 3 hours of lecture & 15-20 hours of homework/self-study/partner collaboration
- Pre-requisite: No UX experience is necessary
- Students graduating from this program will have a strong understanding of UX design (strategy, research, wireframes), and will complete a single case study alongside a partner to demonstrate their skills.
- Software: Figma (education license will be provided), Notion, Zoom
Our 2023 UX Bootcamp applications will open summer 2023. Sign up for our mailing list to be informed of when our applications open again!
Application for our 2023 cohort has not yet opened.
2023 applications open: Summer 2023
Applications close: TBD
Confirmation emails are sent out on a rolling basis until seats are filled.
Class begins: TBD
Meet Your Teachers
”Steven Wakabayashi (he/him) is a creative director, changemaker, and founder of mission-driven organizations empowering historically marginalized communities within design, tech, and mindfulness industries. After leading creative teams at many notable brands and agencies including Apple, Google, Walmart, Huge, and Razorfish, he is now creating pathways for queer BIPOC creatives into the design industry through QTBIPOC Design.Steven Wakabayashihe/him
”Maggie is a UX Designer who enjoys building end-to-end digital experiences, and help foster design communities. They try to show up from a place of openness and playfulness - which applies to almost every aspect of their life. It’s important for them to pay it forward by being a mentor and educator in the design community, especially for those those less represented within our industry.Maggie Karayathey/them
”Michelle is a Product Strategist and a holistic designer that’s not afraid of complex problems. She has a background in front-end development, UX strategy and research, and product management. She considers herself a generalist and curious dabbler. She is a wife, mom of two little ones, native New Yorker, first generation Caribbean-American, who recently left the city for more affordable living on the other side of the river.Michelle Boissonshe/her
”Jamie is Product Design Lead passionate about accessibility and creating a psychologically safe space for marginalized designers, researchers, and empathy-driven world delight'ers within our QTBIPOC community. Together, let's empower and lift each other up — so we can all live our most authentic best lives!Jamie ChowShe/They/🧜🏻♀️
Partnership with Startups for All
In an effort to make our program more inclusive and impactful for our students and greater community, for 2023 we are excited to partner with Startups for All, integrating real-life products from underrepresented startups and founders into our curriculum.
Everybody deserves accessible, quality education
Especially for our queer and BIPOC communities, breaking into and excelling in the creative industry shouldn’t be gated by expensive bootcamp courses or inaccessible professional organizations. The passion to create and conviction to thrive should be the only requirement to finding success in the UX industry.
We created this organization as our form of joy, liberation, and celebration of our community.
Come join our next cohort. We’re excited to have you!
Who is this program for?
- This program is reserved for those who identify as both BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and/or person of color) and LGBTQ+. To honor this space, please do not join if you are an ally. If you are interested in supporting the community, we provide space for allies who want to help us set up events and programming for our organization! If you are an ally please email us separately at email@example.com.
- All attendees are asked to please read and abide by the QTBIPOC Design Code of Conduct.
What's different about this program?
Design is collaborative, communal, and community-oriented.
One of the core aspects of our UX bootcamp programming includes collaboration and being partnered up with one other student throughout the duration of the course. This has benefitted our students greatly in the past and we try our best to pair students together the best we can each cohort. Expect to leave our UX bootcamp better prepared with insights, lifelong collaborators, and friends!
Do you have scholarships available?
Yes! We have limited scholarships available for students to help subsidize costs, donated by our generous sponsors.
”"The QTBIPOC Design bootcamp was an amazing experience. I learned a great deal in 12 weeks. I feel confident that I can be successful, in UX design, moving forward. I also had the opportunity to make a great connection and friend in the person I was partnered with. I highly recommend this bootcamp!"Celia (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2022
”"QTBIPOC Design was a major stepping stone for my career transition as it provided me the resources I needed and introduced me to a network of individuals who are also in a similar space to me."Anthony (he/him)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2022
”"It was such a privilege to experience this intensive yet extremely supportive course where everyone felt welcome. I can't speak highly enough of the dedication and care instructors demonstrated throughout the length of the course."Serena (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2022
”"This UX Design intensive really solidified my desire to work in this field and gave me the opportunity to apply my UX Design knowledge to build a case study I'll be confident in sharing at interviews."Frances (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2022
”"Being part of the bootcamp group really helped me to give some directions while trying to change careers. All teaching team is so thoughtful and comprehensible as well as the other students. Sharing the space with other QTBIPOC friends feels really supportive, i'm grateful for the opportunity."Juliana (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2022
”“I really dug the openness and intimate nature of the classes. I can't believe this actually happened in a remote format. I think this a testament to the mentors in the ux bootcamp. A lot of the mystery of what it's like to work in UX or what the work entails was broken down for us.”Felix (he/him)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2021
”“This is the best bootcamp I’ve taken! The small class sizes mean more access to getting your questions and concerns addressed—so it is quite a tight knit group that is formed each cohort. It is such an honor to be learning from and working with others in the community. It’s a rare opportunity for me that I haven’t had to chance to experience before. I greatly appreciate the knowledge, empowerment and network QTBIPOC design has given me!”Willy (They/their)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2021
”“The QTBIPOC Design UX Bootcamp was an immersive experience into the world of UX design. I was able to get hands-on practice to really learn Figma, and work on a case study for my portfolio. I feel a lot more confident as a UX designer, and I am excited to put my new knowledge and skills into practice with future opportunities.”Malaya (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2021
”“While I had taken a course before in UX, I didn't feel like I reached my potential in my previous courses. Qtbipoc design's bootcamp offered me a safe, supportive environment paired with a great, updated curriculum to learn from. I gained confidence and went from feeling unsure and lost to feeling much more ready to apply to jobs in the field.”Belle (she/her)UX Bootcamp Graduate 2021
The Best UX Bootcamp for QTBIPOC Folx
How do I support?
We are looking for sponsors for our upcoming UX bootcamp.
- If you are an individual donor, please consider donating to our organization!
- If you are a corporate sponsor, please contact us or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for sponsorship details.
Your contribution helps to ensure we keep this amazing program running for our students.
Our UX Bootcamp is provided free for our members through generous donations from our community.